April 29, 2021
Hello all - A couple quick reminders regarding Friday practices:
- Practice goes from 1:15 - 3 PM tomorrow.
*Important: in addition to their practice pinneys, all players need to bring their WHITE game jersey and their GAME shorts, as we're taking team pictures tomorrow.
April 27, 2021
Hello all - We had a great first day out on the field yesterday! The boys brought a lot of enthusiam and energy!
By now you should have received an email instructing you how to conduct the baseline concussion impact testing. (It's an online test, I believe.) If you haven't received that notice or need it re-sent, please email Deb Psilopoulos, the Athletic Director's administrative assistant:
Some other quick reminders:
- The boys should be hydrating throughout the day before practice. The weather is warming up.
- Each player has been provided a water bottle. His name should be written on it, and he should arrive with it filled each day. We aren't allowed to use water buckets this year.
- I found equipment left behind after yesterday's practice. Every piece of equipment should have your son's name on it...each glove, each elbow pad, etc.
- On Fridays, we practice from 1:15 - 3 PM.
- The Varsity has a scrimmage this Saturday at Burlington HS at 2:30 PM.
- We'll have our Varsity and JV rosters set before Thursday's practice this week.
Let me know if you have any questions!
April 25, 2021
Hello all - The Coaching Staff is very excited to kick things off tomorrow, finally! Below is some important information for this coming week:
1. Practice Schedule Times (with an adjustment on Fridays):
- Monday through Thursday: players arrive at 3:30 latest. Practice ends at 5:15.
- Fridays: players arrive at 1:15 latest. Practice ends at 3 PM.
2. Equipment: helmet (which we can provide if the player needs one), stick, shoulder pads, elbow pads, gloves. athletic cup, MOUTHPIECE and MASK, filled personal water bottle. We have a water bottle for each player, many of which I distributed to those who attended a captains practice last week. I will bring the rest tomorrow. (Please remind your son to hydrate throughout the school day.)
We are hoping to have the Varsity and JV rosters set by mid-week, and the Varsity has a scrimmage this coming Saturday 5/1 at 2:30 at Burlington HS. I am working on a JV practice time and space for that Saturday.
Thanks to Christian Boutwell for posting our season schedule on the lexingtonlax.org website. He took what I gave him and put in a much more user-friendly format. I've taken a screenshot and attached it to this email. *Changes may occur!
Let me know if you have any questions, especially about this week. (
April 12, 2021
Hello all - A quick note here that I've just worked out a Varsity scrimmage to be played at Burlington HS, Saturday 5/1, 2:30 PM.
Also, we still have only 28 players registered in Family ID. Please register your son if you haven't already done so.
April 8, 2021
Hello Parents - The coaching staff had a productive meeting by Zoom last night with the players. We can't wait to get started on working with them on a daily basis!
Registration for the Spring season is now open on Family ID. Here is the link. The Family ID site is remaining open for registration only through 4/15. An important note here regarding doctors' physicals: Athletes' most recent physicals needs to be dated 3/26/2020 or later, and that physical must be an in-person appointment, not a remote tele-health visit.
Community Service Hours opportunity: Lexington Youth Lacrosse is in need of HS volunteers for their Sunday clinics with the K through Grade 2 players. The sessions begin this coming Sunday, 4/11 and go through 6/13 (does not include Memorial Day weekend). Players interested should email Coach Bobby Lyng at
Scheduling notes to be aware of: As of right now, we have two games during Memorial Day weekend, Saturday and Monday. Also, assuming your families are beginning to make summer plans, people should be aware that our season will likely stretch into late June. There is a varsity Middlesex League tournament between 6/8 and 6/14, and then the state tournament begins. The JV plays two post-season games on 6/12 and 6/19. The whole season schedule can be found at LexingtonLax.org.
Masks and Safety: According to Naomi Martin, several student-athletes currently playing a "Fall Two" sport tested positive for Covid this week. We talked to our players last night about remaining vigilant, wearing masks when in close proximity with others, and avoiding big crowds (parties, etc). As we know, teenagers are likely to be cavalier about these things. We're hoping to avoid interruptions to our season.
Let me know if you have any questions.
March 26, 2021
Hello LHS Boys Lacrosse Community - Forgive the long email, but the Spring head coaches met with Naomi Martin last night, so I have several updates.
1. Season Schedule: The schedule of "regular season" games should be available for view some time today (thank you, Christian Boutwell, for uploading this to the lexingtonlax.org site). You'll see that we are playing 10 regular season games against our five "Liberty" division opponents in the Middlesex League, the last of which will be on Saturday June 5th.
- What happens after that? There will be a Middlesex League tournament from 6/8 - 6/14 in which we'll play three more games. And then the state tournament begins. So, between the regular season, the ML tournament, and the sectional state tournament, the Varsity will play at least 15 games. (*After the regular season, there will be two more JV game dates of 6/12 and 6/19, so the JV will play at least 13 games.)
- AP Tests: We likely have several student-athletes planning on taking AP Tests, which are happening between 6/8 and 6/11, I believe. Apparently the tests are being offered at a couple different time slots, some of which could conflict with our afternoon practice and game times. I'll put together a Google Form for those student-athletes so we can have as much warning as possible. And if the choice is still there and they can sign up for the earlier time slot, that would be much appreciated.
- Our first official day of practice is Monday April 26th. If a player is traveling during April Break, he'll need to present a negative Covid test before participating in practice on 4/26.
- Practices will run from 3:45-5:15. Because every player must go through a quick Covid protocol before each practice, I'll ask players to do their best to be at the field beginning at 3:30, so that we can begin practice at 3:45. I know that will be difficult for some players. We'll work through it.
- JV games will be played AFTER Varsity games.
- Travel: no busses. Players will need to be driven to and from games.
2. Registration: The AD's registration site will open on Monday 4/5 and remain open through Friday 4/15. Three things here:
- They aren't taking late registrations this year, so it's important everyone is registered by 4/15. Please keep your ear to ground on that.
- Physical: They are NOT accepting "virtual" or "telehealth" physicals. I imagine some players have not had an in-person physical in a long time time. The in-person physical is required, so please make an appointment as soon as possible if it has been more than a year since the last one.
- Being over-caffienated and under-slept, I can't remember what the third thing is, so...stay tuned. :)
Ok...that's it for now, but lots more to come. With the warm weather comes the desire to socialize, and as we know, teenagers are not so great at remaining socially distanced, and positive cases are again increasing in Massachusetts. We're hoping for an infection-free season with no Covid shut-downs, so please remind your son to remain vigilant, wear masks, and keep distanced.
Please push your son to get out there and condition, get in wall-ball reps as frequently as possible, and attend Captains Practices if he isn't currently playing a sport. I'm due to hold a Zoom team meeting, which will likely occur some time next week.
I'm excited to be planning lacrosse! Let me know if you have any questions.
January 5, 2021
Hello LHS Boys Lacrosse Parents, and Happy New Year!
I hope your holiday season was rejuvenating in some way, despite the world's circumstances.
I'm overdue for communicating with you all about our 2021 season, our preparation, etc. I haven't communicated much, however, because, frankly, there isn't much news. In a normal year, I send out the season schedule to parents by some time in November, so that they can plan for those weekends when the players will not have team responsibilities, plan college visits, etc. As of now, we still have no schedule. I inquired with Noami Martin yesterday about it, and she said no news yet, other than that we'll likely be playing twice within our league division and not playing any non-league games, but even that remains to be seen. So...I'm sorry I can't give you a clearer picture of the Spring. Because of the "Fall Two" season, when Football will run from late February through mid-late April, our first day of practice/try-outs won't be until late April (normally it's the third Monday of March).
So people planning college visits should have lots of room to go see colleges between February Break and mid-April. I'll say here what I say every year regarding college visits: I hope college visits do not occur during the season. This is why I try deliberately to build into our season a couple spots where I give the program a full weekend off, so as to give families plenty of heads up for when college visits might occur without taking players away from practice and games. Having no control over how the season is scheduled, I guess I'll just request that college visits occur somewhere between February Break and mid-April, as I have no idea what the season schedule will be.
Preparation: I have just pushed out to the players through our team Google Classroom Stream a message about working out. Again, in a normal year, we would have begun team workouts using the school weight room, etc. Not possible right now, so I am imploring the players to show the initiative to work on their own fitness. My message included a video of the kinds of workouts they should be doing to be in good lacrosse-shape come April. I've asked them to do these workouts on average three times per week. I'll be pushing out stick-skills drills too. (Any nice-weather day should include working on their stick skills, wall-ball, etc.) If your son isn't in the habit of visiting our Google Classroom Stream and checking his email, well...he isn't receiving these communications from the coaches. We need full participation from the players now. Your encouragement to your sons to commit to these pre-season fitness and skills efforts would be very much appreciated!
From there, please let me know if you'd like me to communicate directly with your son, especially if he is struggling academically in some way. I am concerned about how the remote and hybrid learning may impact players' academic eligibility in the Spring. I know some students are really struggling with this daily Zoom existence. (I'm struggling with it!) Any encouragement I can offer, don't hesitate to ask.
Ok...sorry for the length of this email! I guess I had more to say than I originally thought. I really hope you all are well.