Welcome to the LYL Girls Lacrosse Program
Lexington Youth Lacrosse (LYL) is dedicated to introducing, teaching, and expanding youth lacrosse in Lexington and neighboring communities.
We believe that lacrosse, among all the sports available to your daughter, provides a unique and exciting combination of individual athleticism (speed, endurance, hand-eye coordination), teamwork, and creative problem solving.
We have developed a comprehensive curriculum that is fun, competitive, and instructional, and is intended to teach age-appropriate skills in an integrated manner that builds across each age level to prepare your daughter to play at the high school and college level.
Below you will find information regarding:
- Program Principles
- Fall Season
- Spring Season
- Our Indoor practices (February 27th– March 27th)
- Our Season Schedule (Practices and Games March 29th-June 18th)
- How and when we will assign players to teams
- Miscellaneous Housekeeping Items
I’m looking forward to a fantastic season. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please let me know. Go Lex Lax!
Allison Watts, Girls Director
As coaches, we will stress four principles with your players this season:
- SAFETY--This includes proper equipment (mouth guard, goggles, no jewelry), keeping sticks away from opposing players’ heads, and throwing only to teammates who are expecting a pass.
- LEARNING--We will teach lacrosse, teamwork, sportsmanship, and respect (for the players themselves, teammates, coaches, referees, and opponents).
- EFFORT--This is more important to the coaches than winning or losing.
- FUN--We want the players to enjoy themselves, their teammates, the sport, and team sports in general. For us coaches, one measure of our success is when a player returns to lacrosse the following season.
As a reminder, players should bring the following to practice:
- Lacrosse stick*
- Mouth guard - colored, not clear. No straps are allowed.
- Sneakers or cleats
- Water bottle
*A good stick can make a big difference! LYL offers starter gear packages. If interested in please contact Ken Ford for details (
For more information on equipment, visit https://www.usalacrosse.com/equipment
LYL runs skills-based clinics for all age levels from early September through October. Sessions are on Sunday afternoons at Lincoln Field in Lexington. Players must have full equipment to participate. Players in K-8 grade can participate.
Players of all skill levels and experience are invited to participate, but the program is especially helpful for first-time players. We will do our best to keep experienced players engaged, but our primary focus will be introducing lacrosse to new players.
Spring Lacrosse - PreSeason Indoors
Our spring season starts with indoor practices once a week on Sunday in March, more details to come. See tentative schedule below for Spring 2022 All indoor practices for U11, U13, and U15 take place at Teamworks in Acton (30 Great Road, Acton MA 01720)
- Players in our U11 program (grades 3/4) will pratice from 12-1pm
- Players in our U13 program (grades 5/6) will pratice from 1-2pm
- Players in our U15 program (grades 7/8) will pratice from 1-2pm
Classic Spring Lacrosse
LYL offers two distinct girls programs in the spring: travel teams for grades 3-8 and an in-town program for grades K-2
In-Town: Grades K-2, LYL will also field a “team” for kindergarten, first and second grade players (U9). The U9 program will not travel, as the entire focus is to teach fundamental lacrosse skills (throwing, catching, ground balls, cradling, and shooting) to young players. Practices will be once a week on Sunday afternoons, and the program runs from April to mid June, all outdoors.
Travel Teams: Grades 3-8, The travel teams will continue to participate in the US Lacrosse Gold Stick member, Mass Bay Girls Lacrosse League (MBGLL).LYL will field travel teams in three age groups:
- U11 (Grades 3/4)
- U13 (Grades 5/6)
- U15 (Grades 7/8)
Classic Spring Season Schedule:
All of our regular season practices will take place on one of the Lincoln turf fields or the Lower Hayden grass field. Players in our U11, U13 and U15 will have practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays 5:30pm-7:00pm (subject to change). League games will be played on Sunday afternoon, exact times and locations will be determined by the league closer to the beginning of the season. We play in the Mass Bays Girls Lacrosse League (MBGLL).
Games will be played the following weeks:
- April 3rd
- April 10th
- April 24th
- May 1st
- May 8th
- May 15th
- May 22rd
- June 5th
- June 11th, 12th - Multiple games over these 2 days at the MBGLL Jamboree
How and When We Will Assign Teams
MBGLL and LYL require that we create fair and balanced teams at each age level. During the indoor practices coaches will divide players in teams to achieve this while ensuring we have enough coaches on each team, and group players by school as much as possible. We will aim to have two balanced teams at each age level.
For those players who demonstrate strong lacrosse skills and crave a higher level of play, we offer Select Teams at the U13 and U15 Level. Please see the Select program tab for more information.
Miscellaneous Housekeeping Items
- Game Uniforms. Every player needs a game jersey and game shorts to play in a game. We will distribute them to your player before the first game.
- Automated emails from Lexington Youth Lacrosse. Make sure you are signed up for automated emails! You will receive email reminders for all practices and games, and you can respond whether your player will attend or not.
- The website. If you need to contact your player’s coach or if you have a schedule question, the website (www.lexingtonlax.org) is the place to start. Coaches contact information is there, and practice and game schedules will be posted when available.
- Outdoor practice weather guidelines. This is New England and it can be pretty chilly in the beginning of the season. Help your player dress in layers and always have a pair of gloves in their stick bag. You are the parents – you make the ultimate call on whether your player practices or not. On questionable weather days, please check your email regularly. We will give you the most advance notice possible, but it’s often tight. If you don’t hear from us, we’re practicing!